Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Jimmy crack corn and I don't care.

Right now my preschool age son is watching Bee Movie with a big bottle of water (healthy) and he is eating yogurt covered raisins (fruit!) all natural corn chips (vegetable?!) and Morningstar Farm veg breakfast sausage (protein/veg?!).  I don't care that it's 9:30 in the morning and he is eating chips.  Why?  Because I sprained my ankle, I cant walk on it and things are just falling by the wayside.

My mom was here the last two days to run logistics while I was on the couch staying off my leg.  Last night was wildcard night so we made a big pot roast right after lunch and left it in the oven all day to braise for dinner.  I add red wine, carrots and potatoes to mine, which I think qualifies as a fruit and two vegetables.  That being said, my son only will eat the meat and gravy (golden mushroom campbells soup base with pan drippings to create the gravy) but I think with all the wine stewed into the meat and the trace elements of mushroom in the gravy, he is actually getting a  fruit AND a vegetable (wine and mushrooms) with his pot roast meat.  My daughter will eat the meat and carrots with potatoes, which is a great way to get your kids some veg, kids love pot roast and you can play around with different veg in it until you find a combo your kids will like.  When my son was a baby he ate the carrot and potato with his meat, but once he was old enough to notice the color in the carrots, now he runs shrieking out of the room and hides his face in the living room pillows if I put a pot roasted carrot on his dish.

My daughter is so starving when she comes home from school at 3:30 because there are so few options I can send her to school with for her snack and lunch because of severe allergies among her classmates.  I think I'll give her a little pot roast sampler as her snack to fill her up today, it is a comfort food kind of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment